Reports to Council. Ex-Officio Rules apply. However, Members of the Executive may not be members of the Scrutiny Committee and no Member may be involved in scrutinising a decision in which he/she has been directly involved.
Terms of Reference
The Scrutiny Committee will have the following roles and functions:-
(1) review and scrutinise the decisions made by, and performance of, the Executive, Committees of the Council, Directors and Assistant Directors both in relation to individual decisions and over a period of time;
(2) review and scrutinise the performance of the Council in relation to its policy objectives, performance targets and/or particular service areas;
(3) question members of the Executive, Committees of the Council, Directors and Assistant Directors as required, about their decisions and performance, whether generally in comparison with service plans and targets over a period of time, or in relation to particular decisions, initiatives or projects;
(4) test the rigour and process of reviews (including Best Value Reviews) of Council services and make recommendations to the Executive, the appropriate Committee or the Council on the outcomes.
(5) make recommendations to the Executive, a Committee of the Council or the Council arising from the outcome of the scrutiny process;
(6) exercise the right to Call In for reconsideration decisions made but not yet implemented by the Executive or any other body, Member or Director or Assistant Director.
(7) review and scrutinise the performance of other public bodies in the area and invite reports from them by requesting them to address the Committee and local people about their activities and performance; and
(8) question and gather evidence from any person (with their consent).
Finance and Resourcing
The Overview and Scrutiny Committees may exercise overall responsibility for the finances made available to them and can request reports from Directors and Assistant Directors on issues affecting their work.
The Overview and Scrutiny Committees must report at least annually to full Council on their work and make recommendations for future work programmes and amended work programmes having regard to the overall resources made available to the Committee by the Council.
Proceedings of the Overview and Scrutiny Committees
These Committees will conduct proceedings in accordance with the Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules set out in Part 4 of this Constitution.
Support officer: Ron Schrieber, Democratic Services Officer.
Phone: 01235 422524
Web site: www.whitehorsedc.gov.uk