Council Agenda


Contact: Steven Corrigan, Democratic Services Manager

Telephone number 07717 274704


Date:   5 July 2022




Summons to attend

a meeting of Council


to be held on Wednesday 13 July 2022 at 7.00 pm

First floor, 135 Eastern Avenue, Milton Park, Milton, OX14 4SB




Patrick Arran

Head of Legal and Democratic


To watch this meeting, follow this link to the council’s YouTube channel:


Alternative formats of this publication are available on request.  These include large print, Braille, audio, email and easy read. For this or any other special requirements (such as access facilities) please contact the officer named on this agenda.  Please give as much notice as possible before the meeting.



Open to the public including the press



1.           Apologies for absence


To record apologies for absence.




2.           Minutes

(Pages 5 - 20)


To adopt and sign as a correct record the Council minutes of the extraordinary meeting and the annual meeting held on 18 May 2022. 




3.           Declarations of interest


To receive declarations of disclosable pecuniary interests, other registrable interests and non-registrable interests or any conflicts of interest in respect of items on the agenda for this meeting. 




4.           Urgent business and chair's announcements


To receive notification of any matters which the chair determines should be considered as urgent business and the special circumstances which have made the matters urgent, and to receive any announcements from the chair. 




5.           Public participation


To receive any questions or statements from members of the public that have registered to speak. 




6.           Petitions


To receive any petitions from the public. 




7.           Community Governance Review - related alteration order


The Community Governance and Electoral Issues Committee is currently undertaking a community governance review and will be making final decisions on a number of community governance reviews at its meeting on 12 September 2022. The committee could agree changes to parish boundaries which would impact on district ward and county division boundaries. To make district ward and county divisions coterminous with any parish changes Council is invited to authorise the head of legal and democratic to request the Local Government Boundary Commission for England to make related alteration orders to alter both the district wards and county division boundaries. Any such requests must be submitted by 1 October, prior to the next Council meeting, to ensure any changes are implemented for the May 2023 elections.



RECOMMENDATION: to authorise the head of legal and democratic to request the Local Government Boundary Commission for England to make related alteration orders to change district wards and county divisions to reflect the changes made to parish boundaries arising from the current community governance review.




8.           Future Oxfordshire Partnership Update


To receive an update on the Future Oxfordshire Partnership from Councillor Neil Fawcett, Cabinet member for strategic partnerships and place.




9.           Report of the leader of the council


To receive the report of Councillor Emily Smith, Leader of the council. 




10.       Questions on notice


To receive questions from councillors in accordance with Council procedure rule 33. 


A.   Question from Councillor Hayleigh Gascoigne to Councillor Judy Roberts, Cabinet member for development and infrastructure


“The house building in Great Western Park, which sits on the boundary of Didcot and Harwell, appears to be almost complete, if not already completed.


The provision for medical facilities, in the form of a GP surgery, was part of the legal agreement with the developers. Can we have an update on what the progress is on the GP surgery, as this is a clear concern for the local public?”


B.   Question from Councillor Bob Johnston to Councillor Helen Pighills, Cabinet member for healthy communities


 "It is 20 years since the White Horse Leisure and Tennis Centre in Abingdon opened. Can the Cabinet member give an approximate figure for the number of visitors to the White Horse Leisure and Tennis Centre since then?"




11.       Motions on notice


To consider motions from councillors in accordance with Council procedure rule 38. 


(1)       Motion to be proposed by Councillor Sally Povolotsky, seconded by Councillor Diana Lugova:


This Council notes that families and individuals in our district face a cost-of-living crisis.  

Households across the UK are facing the highest tax burden in 70 years, and the typical family will see a hit of £1,200 a year through a combination of tax rises and

soaring energy prices according to the Resolution Foundation.


People living in rural areas, like ours, are disproportionately affected by fuel price increases because of the lack of public transport and longer distances to reach work,

education and health services.


In April, Ofgem increased the energy price cap by 54 per cent, however there is no price cap on solid fuel bottled gas or heating oil which 5%* of Vale residents rely on to

heat their homes.


Council thanks our officers for the additional work already being done support residents amid this crisis; including:  

  • Processing the £150 Council Tax rebates promptly and well before the government’s deadline  
  • Establishing processes to enable access to the Household Support Fund  
  • Expanding the support, supplies and signposting available from our Community Hub through the height of Covid and beyond  
  • Extremely successful homelessness prevention work   
  • Managing partnership grants with non-for-profit organisations to provide financial and other advice across the district 
  • Signposting of benefits and other support

But there is much more to do both nationally and locally. Therefore, Council resolves to ask the Leader and Chief Executive to explore:  

  1. Expanding our Council Tax Reduction Scheme to reduce the tax burden for lower income households 
  2. Ways to protect funding for partnership grants delivering advice services to residents in next year’s budget and future years as far as possible  
  3. Ways to continue and widen the remit of the community hub, which was initially created in response to Covid to support residents and is now acting as a central point for information and support  
  4. Working with partners to improve access to affordable food across our district

And asks the leader to write to relevant government ministers and our local MPs to ask for urgent action to relieve the cost-of-living crisis through such measures as:  

  1. Provide immediate financial support for consumers of heating oil, Bottled gas, solid fuels, those reliant on generators for electricity and those on prepayment meters.  
  2. Increase Rural Fuel Duty Rate Relief and expand the number of rural areas covered  
  3. Consider reducing VAT to 17.5% putting money back into the pockets of average families, boosting the economy and helping to support local retailers  
  4. Deliver a real and immediate increase in investment in UK renewables and an energy plan for the UK which immediately reduces costs for the end user and leads to the decarbonisation of the UK energy network in the long term.